Post Biopsy Instructions
- Do your best to avoid disturbing the wound. Avoid aggressive rinsing, spitting, or touching the wound day of surgery.
- Bleeding or redness in the saliva is normal for 24 hours. Excessive bleeding can be controlled by applying moistened gauze over the surgical area and applying manual or biting pressure for 30 minute interval(s). If bleeding persists please call our office.
- Swelling is a normal occurrence after surgery. To minimize swelling, keep your upper body inclined when lying down for the first 48 hours after surgery. You may also apply ice periodically (20 mins on/20 mins off) to help with swelling and discomfort.
- Do NOT eat or drink anything that feels warm to your mouth for 24 hours. Soft food should be eaten on the day of surgery. Return to a normal diet as soon as tolerated unless directed otherwise.
- NSAID pain medication (ibuprofen/motrin/advil/aleve) is a mainstay of pain control after surgery. You can take 600 mg of ibuprofen/motrin every 6 hours. For additionally pain control, or if you cannot take NSAID pain medication, you can take 1,000 mg of Acetaminophen/Tylenol every 8 hours. Opiate narcotics are also occasionally prescribed for pain control, these can be used in addition to NSAIDs and Tylenol, however be cognizant of the prescribed narcotic as it may contain Tylenol in it. You should not exceed more than 3,000 mg of Tylenol in 24 hours.
- If the pain does not begin to subside in 2 to 3 days, please call our office.
- If an antibiotic has been prescribed, finish your antibiotic prescription. If you are having trouble taking the antibiotics, please call the office for instructions.
- Maintain good oral hygiene to promote healing. Warm salt water rinses (1/2 teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water) should be used at least 4-5 times a day, especially after meals. Brush your teeth as you normally would, but avoid brushing around the surgical areas.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for the first 24-48 hours following surgery.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call our office at Waterville office of Mid-Maine Oral Surgery Phone Number 207-873-0117. After hours, you will reach our answering service and they will page the surgeon and have him call you back.