Before General Anesthesia
Pre-Operative Instructions for Oral Surgery Sedation
- You may NOT have anything to eat or drink (except water) after midnight the night before your surgery appointment. You may drink water up to two hours prior to the time of surgery. If you were instructed to take certain medications the morning of surgery, they must be taken with sips of water.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany you to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive you home. A responsible adult should also be at home with you after surgery.
- You should not drive or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with short sleeves or loose sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow on the day of surgery.
- Please wear low-heeled, stable shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, piercings, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do NOT wear nail polish.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, fever, or chest congestion, please call the office Waterville office of Mid-Maine Oral Surgery Office Phone Number 207-873-0117 prior to the day of surgery to review your symptoms with a staff member. For your safety, we may need to reschedule your appointment.
- If you take oral medications, please check with your surgeon prior to your surgical date for instructions.
Questions About Your Pre or Post Surgery Instructions?
Preparation and recovery for oral surgery is vital to your oral health. If you have questions or concerns about your care instructions, don't hesitate to contact us.